Aromatherapy is slowly gaining recognition as a way of improving health and wellness in our lives. For some men, leading a busy lifestyle may take a toll on their health due to pressure at work, lack of sleep, irregular exercise and unhealthy diet.
Here are some of the essential oils recommended to improve the quality of life for men:
Frankincense have been shown to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure caused by negative emotions. Its stress-relieving properties helps with anxiety and nervousness, and it works exceptionally well in stress related conditions such as during a meeting or the night before exams. Frankincense is also known for boosting the immune system, particularly oral health. Its antiseptic qualities strengthen the gums and prevents oral issues and can also be applied to wounds to protect them from infections.
DIY Frankincense Essential Oil Blend
- Frankincense Essential Oil – 2 drops
- Lavender Essential Oil – 3 drops
- Orange Essential Oil – 2 drops
- Add all essential oils into a 2ml empty glass bottle.
- Roll bottle between hands to thoroughly blend oils.
- Apply appropriate drops of essential oil blend onto diffuser
Peppermint is famously known for its uplifting minty aroma that helps to relieve fatigue and restlessness. Long days at work can sometimes be draining to your mental health. Instead of reaching out for your caffeine fix, try using Peppermint essential oil for a change. It can improve energy levels and strengthen mental clarity, especially during the midday slump.
DIY Peppermint Roll-on Recipe
- Peppermint Essential Oil – 6 drops
- Lavender Essential Oil – 4 drops
- Jojoba Beauty Oil – 10ml
- Add all essential oils into a 10ml empty glass roller bottle
- Pour in Jojoba oil into the roller bottle
- Close the cap and roll bottle between hands to blend
Use a roller bottle that has glass rollerballs instead of metal rollerballs to ensure that your essential oils do not react with the material.
The woody fragrance of Sandalwood is one of the preferred scents for men when it comes to perfumery because the woodiness brings out a masculine and strong impression from the users. When used in aromatherapy, Sandalwood is effective for those who suffer from insomnia as it creates a feeling of tranquillity and peace in the environment. For dry skin, Sandalwood alleviates dry patches and eczema, thus making it suitable for an anti-ageing remedy.
DIY Sandalwood Face Oil
- Sandalwood Essential Oil – 5 drops
- Chamomile Roman Specialty Oil – 10 drops
- Geranium Essential Oil – 3 drops
- Rose Hip Beauty Oil – 50ml
- Add all essential oils into a 50ml empty glass bottle
- Pour Rose Hip Beauty Oil into the glass bottle
- Roll bottle between hands to blend oils.
- Using a glass pipette, apply 1 drop onto skin and massage.
Low testosterone can affect the body in different ways such as chronic fatigue, depression, mood changes, reduced libido and poor appetite. It is caused by stress, poor nutrition or some drug usage. Clary Sage can help to stimulate the brain and nervous system and help properly balance out hormonal levels. One effective method of improving testosterone levels is to combine aromatherapy and healthy diet with adequate exercise in your lifestyle.
DIY Clary Sage Bath Salts
- Clary Sage Specialty Oil – 20 drops
- Lavender Essential Oil – 20 drops
- Epsom salts – 2 cups
- Baking soda – 1 cup
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- Transfer into an air-tight jar and store in a cool, dry place
- Use ¼ cup per bath every week
Body tensions, sore muscles and joint pains are some of the common ailments that some active men face. Fir Balsam can provide relief to respiratory and muscular aches with its powerful relaxation effect and at the same time, stimulating the muscles, skin and lymphatic system. When used topically on the skin, Fir Balsam slows the inflammatory response against wounds, ceasing any bacteria growth from forming on site.
DIY Fir Balsam Massage Oil
- Fir Balsam Specialty Oil – 40 drops
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – 10 drops
- Peppermint Essential Oil – 10 drops
- Jojoba Base Oil – 1 cup
- Combine all ingredients into a 250ml bottle
- Tilt bottle up and down to mix the ingredients
- Use an appropriate amount during massage